What Insurance Companies Don't Want You to Know
Do you know what goes on behind the scenes during claim investigation and evaluation? Are you aware of all the negotiating traps adjusters may set for you? Can you identify all the defensive tools at an insurer's disposal? Join our experienced faculty for an inside look at insurance companies. From initial insurance claims to bad faith and breach of contract litigation, gain the insights you need to protect clients and get them the relief they need. Register today!
- Catch up with the latest legal developments and insurance industry trends.
- Uncover claims handling secrets that might surprise you.
- Examine insurers' methods for denying claims and insulating themselves from bad faith liability.
- Find proof of coverage and any signs of misconduct in the insurance policy and claims file.
- Anticipate the defense's strategies in bad faith or breach of contract litigation.
2:00 PM to 5:15 PM Eastern Standard Time
2:00 - 3:30, Eliot M. Harris
- Investigation, Claim Evaluation and Negotiation Secrets - Revealed
- The Latest Legal Updates and Claims Handling Developments
- Claims Handing: What They Won't Tell You
- What Insurers Look for - What You Might Not Know
- Investigation and Questioning Secrets of Adjusters
- Claim Valuation Insights
- Finding the Adjuster's Authority
- Reserves: A Behind-the-Scenes Look
- Negotiating Tricks and Techniques of Insurance Adjusters
- Claim Denials and Defensive Strategies - An Inside Look
- Bad Faith vs. Good Faith Denial of Coverage
- Rescission/Contract Avoidance
- Preservation of Coverage Defenses
- ROR and Coverage Denial Letters
- Invoking the Cooperation Clause
- Withholding Parts of the Claims File
- Action for Declaratory Relief
3:45 - 5:15, Anthony Bartell and Sherilyn Pastor
- The Insurance Policy and Claims File - What Insurers Don't Want You to Find
- Analyzing the Insurance Contract
- Defining "Occurrence" with Case Law
- Evaluating the Insurer's Duty to Defend and/or Indemnify
- Reviewing the Claims File: Spotting Misconduct
- Piercing Privilege Protections
- Finding Gems in Extra-Contractual Materials
- Using Exclusions, Ambiguous Terms and Conditions as Evidence
- Creatively Framing Your Coverage Position
- Bad Faith and Breach of Contract Litigation - Anticipating the Defense's Game Plan
- Pre-Suit and Early Litigation Strategies
- Bifurcating the Claims
- The Defense's Use of Experts
- Defense Discovery Tactics
- Adjuster and Underwriter Depositions
- Motion Practice Tactics
- Settlement and ADR Strategies
- Defense Techniques for Bad Faith Trials
This program is designed for attorneys. Paralegals may also benefit.