An Essential Guide for HR Professionals
Bad hires happen. How you respond is what will determine if your hiring misfire is a temporary setback or a long-term problem. This program will provide you with sound strategies to deal with hiring mistakes in a practical, effective and legally compliant manner. Our experienced faculty will teach you how to spot the early warning signs of a bad hire, take proactive steps to correct the issues, and clean up your hiring process so it doesn't happen again. Order today!
- Spot red flags that signal trouble and acquire new techniques for turning around bad hires.
- Learn how to use warnings and other disciplinary measures without putting the company in peril.
- When all else fails, learn how to make a sound, legally compliant case for termination.
- Examine your hiring procedures and learn best practices to avoid future problems.
2:00 PM to 5:15 PM Eastern Standard Time
2:00 - 3:30, Julian B. Alwill
- You Made a Bad Hire: What Next?
- Signs You May Have Hired the Wrong Person
- Poor Productivity
- Bad Team/Culture Fit
- Employee Misrepresented Skills
- Attendance and Punctuality Problems
- Other Red Flags
- Examining the Cost of a Bad Hire
- Options Analysis
- Recency of the Hire
- Position Replacement Nuances
- Technical Competency vs. Work Approach
- Candidate Misrepresentation vs. Hiring Assessment Flaws
- Techniques & Compliance Issues for Turning Things Around
- Performance Improvement Plans
- Performance Warnings
- Performance Reviews
- Successfully Conducting Employee Discipline and Warnings
- Drafting Legally Sound Discipline Policies
- How to Use Progressive Discipline
- Documenting Verbal Warnings and Reprimands
- Keeping Accurate Records of Disciplinary Actions
- Discipline Policies and Procedures that Land Employers in Trouble
3:45 - 5:15, Kathryn M. Lipp
- Legally Compliant Termination Procedures
- Factors to Consider Before Pursuing Termination
- Making the Case for Termination: Key Documentation
- Guarding Against Claims of Discrimination
- What to Include in a Termination Letter
- Conducting Legal Compliant Exit Interviews
- Severance Agreements: Practical Tips for Employers
- Avoiding Common Mistakes Employers Make During Termination
- Cleaning Up the Hiring Process: Best Practices for Employers
- Job Applications: Are You Gathering the Right Data?
- Maintaining Accurate and Up-to-Date Job Descriptions
- Asking the Right Interview Questions
- Background Checks: Practical and Legal Issues
- Getting the Most Out of Reference Calls
- Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.: What Can Employers Use?
This program is designed for human resource professionals. Attorneys, accountants and paralegals will also benefit.