Removing Roadblocks to Clients' Medicaid Eligibility
Medicaid remains the primary way for Americans to afford nursing home care. The eligibility criteria are stringent, and the planning and application processes are fraught with financial risk. This focused legal guide will review the toughest aspects of Medicaid planning and offer practical solutions to improper asset transfers, POA mistakes and IRA troubles, among other problem areas. Give your clients the best chance at long-term care funding. Order today!
- For each client's case, learn to identify the specific issues impeding Medicaid eligibility.
- Clarify Medicaid asset and transfer eligibility criteria.
- Troubleshoot unfavorable Medicaid rulings: learn what can be done at different stages of the process.
- Prevent and cure penalty periods caused by prohibited transfers.
- Fix the double trouble IRAs create for Medicaid eligibility.
- Make certain trusts help - not hurt - Medicaid planning.
10:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time
- Identifying the Problem(s)
10:00 - 10:30, Sarah J. Barnes
- Issues Overlooked (and Created) by Non-Attorney Medicaid Application Services
- Applying too Early or too Late
- Underused Safe Harbors
- What Triggers a Penalty Period and How to Fix it
- State Rules Differences
- Unfavorable Medicaid Decisions: Overcoming Application, Appeals, and Hearing Roadblocks
10:30 - 11:00, Sarah J. Barnes
- Prohibited Transfers Ineligibility
11:00 - 11:30, Thomas J. Murphy
- Dealing with Income in Excess of the Medicaid Qualifying Limit
11:45 - 12:15, Emma R. Hemness
- Commonly Overlooked Assets That Ruin Medicaid Eligibility
12:15 - 12:45, Emma R. Hemness
- Preventing Community Spouse Hardship
12:45 - 1:15, Thomas J. Murphy
- Power of Attorney Mistakes That Hinder Medicaid Planning
1:45 - 2:15, Emma R. Hemness
- IRA Double Trouble for Medicaid Eligibility
2:15 - 2:45, Emma R. Hemness
- Problems with Using Trusts for Medicaid Planning
2:45 - 3:15, Sarah J. Barnes
- Provisions That Leave Assets Available for Eligibility Purposes
- Insufficient and Improper Funding
- Legal Ethics Issues in Medicaid Planning
3:30 - 4:30, Thomas J. Murphy
- Conflicts of Interest
- Attorney Fees
- Client Mental Capacity
- Ethical Client Communications
- Estate Recovery Problems
4:30 - 5:00, Sarah J. Barnes
This Medicaid planning guide is designed for attorneys. It will also benefit accountants, life care planners, paralegals and other professionals who encounter long-term care in their practice.