Impairment, Addiction and Recovery in the Legal Profession
Get the latest facts and trends surrounding substance abuse and addiction in the practice of law. Learn how to recognize the warning signs of addiction and get resources to aide in recovery. Get best practices for starting the conversation on substance abuse and clarify how the rules of ethics apply to impaired professionals. Register today!
- Review the current state of substance abuse in the legal profession.
- Clarify the interplay between impairment and your ethical obligations.
- Get practical insights and resources for helping colleagues recover.
- Learn the consequences of practicing under the influence.
2:00 PM - 3:00 PM Eastern Standard Time
Presenter: Catherine Chase
- Understanding Substance Abuse in the Legal Profession
- The Nature of Addiction and its Prevalence Among Attorneys
- Depression, Anxiety and Other Co-Occurring Disorders Common in the Legal Profession
- Difficulties Seeking Help Without Jeopardizing One's Career
- The Four Elements of Competent Representation: Skill, Knowledge, Thoroughness and Preparation
- Assessing Impaired Attorney's Competence
- The Rights and Responsibilities of Supervising Attorneys and Peers in Addressing Suspected Substance Abuse
- Attorney Duty of Diligence: Preventing Missed Court Dates and Unanswered Client Calls
- Withdrawing Representation and Disqualification/Removal
- Attorney Discipline: Substance Abuse in Recent Case Law
- Top Roadblocks to Recovery in the Legal Practice
- Creative Approaches to Handling High Stress and Legal Workloads
- Lawyer Assistance Programs and Treatment Options
This course is designed for attorneys. Paralegals may also benefit.