Because of the risks to you, your employees and your organization, HR law isn’t something you can afford to take lightly. That’s why we created this 2-day intensive program. It brings a whole new level of comprehension to anyone dealing with the complexities of employment law. And it provides the powerful insights you need to fully grasp your legal obligations to employees.
Enroll now in this instructor-led, virtual course and you'll gain a strong understanding of equal employment requirements, best practices for eliminating harassment and discrimination, and respective laws that keep employees safe and ensure their positions are protected, should they become injured or ill. You’ll also learn how to better manage your employer-employee relationships, communication, privacy matters, company policy and much more.
Session 1: Your Role in Employment Law
- Discover the most common legal mistakes made by managers and supervisors.
- Learn how policies help you communicate with employees
- Develop a strategy for managing workplace documents and records
Session 2: Equal Employment Opportunity
- Differentiate between unlawful discrimination and unlawful harassment
- Identify the most commonly protected classes of individuals under federal, state and local laws
- Describe how disparate treatment differs from disparate impact and why they're both considered discriminatory
- Explain reasonable accommodation under the ADA
- Discuss the nature of unlawful harassment, including sexual harassment
Session 3: Harassment in the Workplace
- Discuss the nature of unlawful harassment
- Define sexual harassment and how it impacts equal employment opportunities
- Review the employer’s duty to exercise reasonable care through policy and complaint procedures
Session 4: Important HR Laws
- Discuss the medical expense and wage replacement benefits of state workers’ compensation statutes.
- Recognize the respective safety-related responsibilities of both the employer and the employee.
- Identify the job-related rights of those who will serve, currently serve and have served in the Armed Forces.
- Explain the limits of privacy in the private sector workplace.
Session 1: The Employment Relationship
- Discuss the basic common law rules governing the employer-employee relationship in the United States
- Determine the differences between employees and independent contractors
- Understand the ABC test for independent contractors and how it could impact your company
- Explain at-will employment, including disclaimers and exceptions
- Differentiate between vertical and horizontal employment relationships
Session 2: Talent Management, Discipline and Discharges
- Identify what lawful interviewing is — and what questions are unacceptable
- Explain best practices for lawfully recruiting, interviewing and managing employees
- Know how to evaluate employees without bias
- Describe the performance management process and common rating errors to avoid
- Recognize the components of a fair and equitable progressive discipline policy
Session 3: Compensation Law Basics
- Discuss the nature of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Understand how to compute basic overtime
- List the requirements for overtime exemptions under the FLSA
- Explain tip regulations under the FLSA
- Know the rules for managing your subordinates' compensation
Session 4: Employee Protection Benefits
- Recognize health care continuation coverage time frames and costs
- Explain triggering events that may result in COBRA coverage
- Discuss the benefits and limitations of job protected family and medical leave
- Determine who is eligible for FMLA benefits and who is not
- Recognize the nature of federal and state unemployment insurance benefits