Do you know when to use commas in a sentence? Do you know when it's better to use a semicolon rather than a colon? And what's the difference between parentheses and brackets, or between the hyphen and the dash? Knowing the answers to these questions will ensure that you're using punctuation correctly in your business messages. And by doing so, you'll convey a professional image and inspire confidence in your work and in your company.
In this course, you'll review the standard rules and guidelines for using punctuation appropriately. You'll start by reviewing how to correctly apply end punctuation, including the correct use and rules for periods, question marks, and exclamation points. You'll also find out how to correctly use commas, one of the most common punctuation marks. The course also describes rules for using different connecting and separating marks, such as colons, semicolons, dashes, and hyphens. In addition, it shows how to properly use apostrophes, parentheses, brackets, and quotation marks.Learning Objectives
- Recognize examples of correctly applied rules for using end punctuation
- Recognize how to use commas correctly
- Identify sentences in which commas are misused
- Recognize how to use semicolons, colons, and dashes correctly
- Recognize how to use apostrophes, parentheses, brackets, and quotation marks correctly