Perhaps your organization has asked you to help induct a new employee. Maybe a junior colleague has approached you for guidance. Or perhaps you want to "fast track" a rising star into a particular leadership position. Whatever the case, before you sign on as a mentor you'll want to learn all you can about the process, from how mentoring benefits you and your career to how you can best assist your protege.
"Mentoring Effectively" will help you get started on the right foot by establishing clear and realistic expectations. You'll learn how to step into various mentoring roles, providing training, guidance on professional development, advocacy, and emotional support. You'll brush up on essential communication skills. And you'll learn how to manage the mentoring relationship, from solving potential challenges to guiding the relationship through a positive conclusion.Learning Objectives
- Recognize the importance of effective mentoring.
- Identify the appropriate examples of mentoring relationships.
- Select the advantages of mentoring relationships.
- Identify the examples of people who possess the characteristics of an effective mentor.
- Recognize the importance of mentoring roles.
- Select the appropriate strategies a mentor would use to assist with a protege's professional development.
- Identify a mentor's effective training strategies.
- Identify a mentor's appropriate support strategies.
- Recognize the benefits of using effective communication as a mentor.
- Select the examples of active listening.
- Differentiate between the appropriate and inappropriate ways to provide feedback.
- Choose the questions that effectively guide the protege's decision making.
- Recognize the importance of managing the mentoring relationship from inception to completion.
- Choose the appropriate solutions for mentoring challenges.
- Identify the appropriate decisions about ending mentoring relationships.
- Identify the strategies for ending mentoring relationships on a positive note.